Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I love mornings, I hate winter

I forgot how much I like waking up early and not having to rush off somewhere. I don't mean summer internship 5:45am early. I mean waking up at 7am because I've slept enough and having time to, oh, I don't know, decorate Casa Artom with a little Christmas cheer before heading off to the gym. Yesterday Kelly and I took a stealthy trip to Panorama after our house meeting and I bought as many Christmas decorations as my wallet could handle (not as much as I would have liked, unfortunately). So I got up early today before the kids woke up and added a few wreaths, ornaments, etc around the house and wrapped Christmas lights and ribbon around the banisters. I definitely didn't have enough ribbon or lights, but it'll just have to work because Panorama is not exactly a quick trip AND Christmas lights just aren't as cheap here as back home! Still, I'm really excited to have a little holiday decoration in the house and I hope the kids like it...people are kind of homesick right now, especially as Thanksgiving gets closer and while I know a few twinkle lights aren't going to completely fix that, maybe it'll improve morale just a little?

On the other hand, I HATE WINTER! I started this rant in Vienna, where I began to freeze my butt off, and it's cold in Venice, too, so, it continues! I hate having to wear tons of layers and look like a marshmellow and having a Rudolph red nose all the time. Plus, I hate getting sick (always happens in the winter) and never being warm (especially problematic in constantly chilly Casa Artom). Even though the Christmas season (my absolute favorite) happens to fall in Winter, I'm still pretty anti-winter.

Other than that...things are pretty normal around here...we played a very interesting game of house jeopardy last night (basically a roast of everyone's escapades all semester), but other than that, it's been laundry, cleaning, homework (for the kids), essays (for my last remaining applications), etc. Oh and most everyone doing a "I can't wait to come home" countdown and me being sad every time they mention that!

No comments: