Tuesday, February 6, 2007

i'm all about a good cliche

I know you're not supposed to use cliches in formal writing or anything and they're pretty cheesy, but I'm relatively positive that they're so ubiquitous because they're true...

Nevertheless, the one that has been floating around the front of my head for the past 2 days is "absence makes the heart grow fonder"...neglecting the fact that the word fond makes me uncomfortable (it's one of many...I'm weird, I know), I really think being away from Venice this past weekend made me realize how much I really, really love it. I mean I love it so much that even the cold drizzle today couldn't keep me from bounding down the streets gushing about how much I love it (just ask Allie). It's definitely a good feeling because at first I was concerned that filling many of the semester's weekends with travel would make me feel jipped in terms of getting to know and love Venice. But traveling to Barcelona and back made me realize that I already do know and love it and that I might not appreciate it quite enough if I were here all the time.

Monday flew by despite the sheer volume of classes...Between my morning and afternoon classes, Allie, Mal, and I managed a trip to Billa (and the "bleeding euros" feeling continued as I forked over even more money for food). Aside from that, I just hung out and did work and even found the time to borrow Mal's movie Return to Me to watch before bed, which is a nice change from the busy 24/7 mentality I have at Wake. This whole no extracurricular activities thing is new and much more liberating than I realized. It's so nice to have time for all the things I need to do from errands to schoolwork to travel to keeping up with people back home.

Today I tutored Mary Grace (stilllllll trying to get the hang of being an educator/authority figure/friend/whatever else I'm getting paid to be) then dashed to Bar da Gino--a habit I need to get out of ASAP--where Mal and Robert were sitting at a table and apparently called my name repeatedly/waved and yet throughout my macchiato ordering/drinking/paying process, I never saw them (embarrassing! I blame being tired...). Then I bought a few postcards/stamps at the Tabacchi that just opened by the house (after they took all of January off) to send to the Bowlings, Grandma and Grandpa, and Audrey. I proceeded to write them during art history, a)because I fall asleep easily in that class, b)because who doesn't love to multitask?! Just writing those 3 made me realize how many more I want to send...which is good, I have a ton more art history classes and once those lights go off, I have a hard time staying awake no matter how much I like Chiari and the subject matter! After lunch, a group of us walked to the train station to buy our tickets to Switzerland this weekend, which was expensive, but a relief since we weren't sure if the times would work out. It's going to be cold but absolutely gorgeous and I might even ski...

No comments: